January 7, 2014

Baby it's cold outside!

It's only January 7th and I'm already enjoying my third "snow" day of the year. Life can be so rough sometimes. During the month of December we were quite busy to say the least. Between work schedules, events, holiday parties, Christmas, New Year's and oh, our trip to Pakistan (I'll blog about that adventure later), we put wedding planning on hold. With the holidays over now and all this time off of work it's time to get back into the swing of things. And since it is WAY too cold to go anywhere today, I might as well stay inside (in my pajamas) and work on the wedding, right??

We are at a point in the planning process where we are finally seeing an overall theme. Fewer "big" decisions are being made and more ideas are being implemented. It's funny how tastes can changes and how you realize your "must have" ideas really aren't ideal for your wedding. You see, I've been dreaming about my wedding since the first time I saw Father of the Bride. I was about 6 years old. I fell in love with the lavished details, her white dress with the puffy sleeves and big bow, the idea of having a backyard wedding with twinkly lights everywhere, dancing to Steve Tyrell's (aka Frank Sinatra's) "The Way You Look Tonight" and of course, those big church doors opening and seeing my fabulously handsome fiance standing at the front waiting to say "I do". Those dreams have stuck with me until now, even though the little details of where, when and who I will be marrying have changed throughout the years. I hopelessly daydreamed of my wedding and meeting my Prince Charming for years but nothing could have prepared me for the amazing man God would bring into my life at just the right moment and the beautiful wedding and future we would be planning together.

After Ron proposed the planning quickly began. For those of you familiar with this website called Pinterest - you would think planning would be a breeze now-a-days. Heck, with a couple hours and a few clicks later, your entire wedding could be planned. However, I found there to be so many ideas that it became overwhelming and I couldn't remember what I "really" wanted versus what the new trends were. So, I took a step back and looked at what aspects of the wedding were most important, what would we look back on and say "wow, I'm glad we did that", what traditions did we want to include and what moments would be most important to capture. 

The time of year, date and location were easy decisions. I absolutely LOVE the fall so October was a no-brainier. Our venue is a beautiful old farm house (with a spacious atrium and my twinkly lights) on an equestrian farm managed by the Forest Preserve. Ron happened to have been in one of his best friend's weddings at this venue a few years back and loved it. In fact, Ron happens to be on one of the scrolling photos on the venue's website - Danada House. As soon as we took a tour of the property we knew - this was the one. It had a warm, fall feel with an elegant touch. 

From there the planning took off with a fall theme, incorporating our favorite colors and personal touches. There will be an abundance of mason jars and candles, carved and painted pumpkins and bundles of baby's breath. (Side story - Growing up, my dad always bought my mom, sister and me pink carnations with lots of baby's breath.  Baby's breath is my mother's favorite "flower" and I wanted to incorporate it in some aspect of the wedding. J

Here's a quick glimpse of our wedding "theme" we put together. 


If you have any suggestions on decorating mason jars, painting burlap or fabulous fall decor, feel free to send them my way. I'm off to enjoy the beautiful weather we are having - aka I'm staying in my pajamas under a blanket with hot chocolate close by for the rest of the day. J

Stay warm out there!

Love,
Bethany

1 comment: